Skip to content


Below is a list of forms for the International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) office that can now be completed through our ISSS Portal.

Note: If you have already started a specific online form, do not start a new one. Please go to your User Home Page to continue working on your online form.
  • New F-1 Student Request - All admitted F-1 international students must provide additional information for issuance of your Form I-20 and for any dependents (if applicable). Students enrolled at another school in the U.S. must also provide information about current F-1 status.
  • New J-1 Student Request​​ - All prospective J-1 international students must provide additional information for issuance of your Form DS-2019 and for any dependents (if applicable).
  • New Student Arrival Documentation Check-in - All new students must provide copies of U.S. immigration documents upon entry to the U.S. for ISSS records.
  • New J-1 Scholar Request (Departments) - This must be initiated by the UMBC hosting department to request to bring in a new J-1 short-term scholar, research scholar, or professor by submitting a new Sponsorship Request for ISSS to determine J-1 eligibility.
  • Change of Education Level - If you receive admission to a new degree program at UMBC.
  • Change of Financial Support - If your sponsor changes while you are studying, you must submit new documentation to update your I-20.
  • Dependent Request - If you plan to bring a spouse and/or dependent child (unmarried, under 21 years old) with you, after your initial I-20/DS-2019 has already been issued.
  • DS-2019 Reprint Request - If your existing DS-2019 was lost or stolen, or if you require a DS-2019 for international travel.
  • I-20 Reprint Request - If your existing I-20 was lost or stolen, or if you require a new travel endorsement on your I-20.
  • Social Security Letter Request - If you have been offered a paid job and need an SSN letter from ISSS to take with you to the Social Security Administration.
  • Letter Request - If you need an official letter from ISSS related to your enrollment or immigration status or wish to request a supplemental invitation letter.
  • Program Extension (F-1) - If you will not complete your academic program by the program end date stated on the I-20, you must apply for an extension in advance. Note: only medical or academic are acceptable reasons per immigration regulations.
  • Program Extension (J-1) - If you will not complete your program by the program end date stated on the DS-2019, you must apply for an extension in advance.
  • Reduced Course Load - Immigration regulations require F-1 students to maintain full-time enrollment each academic term. Students who need to drop below full-time must obtain prior approval from ISSS.
  • Transfer Out (F-1) - If you plan to transfer your F-1 status to another U.S. school, ISSS must first review your SEVIS record in advance.
  • Transfer Out (J-1) - If you plan to transfer your J-1 status to another U.S. school or program sponsor, ISSS must first review your SEVIS record in advance.
  • Academic Training - J-1 students requesting advance off-campus work authorization for employment training or practical experience, related to their field of study.
  • Add Site of Activity - J-1 scholars and researchers who have been invited to deliver off-campus lectures/consultations at another U.S. institution, and it will not interfere with your program, must request ISSS approval for this additional work permission.
  • Cap-Gap Extension - to extend your employment authorization if your employer has a pending H-1B petition to USCIS on your behalf
  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT) - F-1 students requesting off-campus work authorization, related to their program of study, prior to graduation. Note: CPT cannot be backdated if submitted late to ISSS.
  • On-Campus Employment - J-1 students should register their on-campus employment with ISSS. Use this form to update your on-campus employer information for SEVIS reporting. Please do so as soon as you get the employment.
  • Off-Campus Employment - Severe Economic Hardship - F-1 students whose financial support suddenly changes and causes severe economic hardship, may be eligible to apply for off-campus employment after meeting with an international student advisor.
  • ​Optional Practical Training (OPT) - F-1 students requesting work authorization for up to one year, related to their program of study. Note: should be submitted at least 3 months prior to the requested employment start date.
    • OPT Application Review - After completing the Optional Practical Training (OPT) application above, F-1 students can upload their complete OPT application packets to the ISSS Portal for review by ISSS staff. NOTE: this can only be completed after you have received your new scanned OPT I-20.
    • OPT Employment Update - This form can be used to update your employment information in SEVIS.  Submit this form ONLY if you are unable to access your SEVP Portal. If you need help accessing your SEVP Portal account, Contact Us first.
  • STEM OPT Extension - F-1 students on OPT after earning a bachelor, master, or doctoral degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (government approved STEM fields) can apply for 24 months of additional OPT if they have a job or job offer from an E-Verify employer and meet all other required criteria.
    • STEM OPT Employment Update - During STEM OPT extension, you can no longer make edits to your employer information in the SEVP Portal. Instead, use this application to submit the required information and documents (including a signed Form I-983 Training Plan) and we will update your SEVIS record for you.
    • STEM OPT Validation Report - While on the STEM OPT extension, you must submit a "Validation Report" every 6 months starting from the date the OPT extension begins and ending when your F-1 status or the extension ends, whichever is first.